Friday, January 18, 2013

Day 18 - Still Going

308 lbs, 11 lbs lost

Now we're getting to the hard part.  The momentum of a fresh start is wearing off and the uphill climb is beginning.  I am trying to keep my mind up so this journey seems like something I want to do, not punishment, but it's not easy.  I would love to hear from anyone reading about where you may be on a similar journey.

Here's what I've been doing:

  • Switched to a different food & exercise tracker.  It was knocking me off track that the one on WebMD did not have an app so I could update from my phone or tablet.  I have switched to MyFitnessPal which can be updated on phone, tablet or computer.  I just started today so we'll see how that goes.  Tracking is CRUCIAL.
  • Tried a new cabbage recipe which is a big deal since I am not a big cabbage lover.   (1 t. olive oil, 2 T. bacon bits, 2 T lemon juice, 1 T. worcestershire, 1/4 t. salt, 1/4 t. pepper, 1 Cabbage, quartered, individually wrapped. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-30 minutes)
  • Walking or exercising with the Wii at least 4x per week.
  • Watching the old series "Ruby" on Netflix to keep myself motivated.  If you are not familiar, it was a cable reality show about a woman who started at 500 lbs. trying to lose 250 of it.

Challenges:
  • Nighttime eating is still a challenge.  Frequency is the same, but what I eat is better.  I go to bed at around 9 p.m. with the intention of watching TV or playing on my tablet for a couple of hours.  From 9 pm - midnight, I get up to eat at least 4 times.  I have been much better at eating fruit, hummus on a rice cake, etc rather than 4 Hawaiian rolls slathered with butter for just one of the trips.  Maybe I could try this week to get up only 3 times.  I continue to talk to myself about the fact that my subconcious does not need to rebel at night.  This is what I want to do.
  • Still a challenge to eat more calories early in the day, but I only skipped breakfast once this past week so good on that.
  • The big challenge is thinking this is what I want to eat because it isn't.  I went out to eat to a beautiful Asian restaurant and had delicious and beautifully presented veggies, but was hungry within an hour of when I got home.  I still dream of cheese even though my gut feels so much better without it.  There is a "satisfaction" factor that does not come from a big pile of celery even though one may be "full."
  • Eleven pounds is a lot to lose but my clothes do not feel significantly looser because I had gotten so big, even my "big" clothes were getting tight.
So, let me repeat my reasons for this journey to motivate myself, and maybe even add a couple:
  1. I desperately want to look better. Honestly, that is more important to me than my health. I would like to end up looking something on the order of Christine Lagarde, head of the IMF International Monetary Fund.  Her way of dressing is just my style.
  2. I want to run and play full tilt with my six exceptional granddaughters.
  3. I want my recently replaced knees to last longer.
  4. I want to travel more comfortably and be confident I can conquer challenging terrain like Machu Pichu.
Well, that's it for today.  Onward & upward (I mean downward!)
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment